- The current industry practice addresses scale and fouling in condensers in the following ways:
- Chemicals : Dosing the water with chemicals to inhibit scaling and fouling.
- Blowing down : Reduce the scaling tendency of water by draining “dirty” (high TDS) water and topping up with “clean” water.
- Manual Cleaning :Using a rod and brush to manually swab each and every signal condenser tube in order to brush off all scale and fouling formed on the tubes surface.
- These methods do not eliminate scaling and fouling in condensers completely as evidenced by the need to carry out periodic manual cleaning.
- The typical energy consumption pattern for the chiller using these methods is shown in Figure 3 below.
Energy Consumption Pattern